Badminton at the 2022 Commonwealth Games
at the 2022 Commonwealth Games
|Venue||National Exhibition Centre|
|Dates||29 July – 8 August 2022|
|Competitors||151 from 29 nations|
|Badminton at the|
2022 Commonwealth Games
Badminton was one of the sports contested at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, held in Birmingham, England. This was the fifteenth staging of badminton at the Commonwealth Games since its inclusion in 1966, and the second staging within England specifically.
|G||Preliminary matches (group)||P||Preliminary matches (knockout)||¼||Quarter-finals||½||Semi-finals||B||Bronze medal match||F||Gold medal match|
|Fri 29||Sat 30||Sun 31||Mon 1||Tue 2||Wed 3||Thu 4||Fri 5||Sat 6||Sun 7||Mon 8|
The badminton competition was held at the National Exhibition Centre in Solihull. Five other sports – boxing, netball, para powerlifting, table tennis, and weightlifting – also took place there.
Qualification (mixed team)
All nations were able to enter whoever they wish (up to five men and five women overall) in the singles and doubles events.
In addition, sixteen nations were also entitled to contest the mixed team event; subject to at least four CGF regions being represented and a minimum entry of two men / two women per team, they qualify as follows:
- The host nation.
- The top 14 nations in the BWF World Ranking as of 1 February 2022, excluding the host nation. Their highest-ranked players in each of the five individual rankings are added together to determine the combined ranking.
- One nation not already qualified receives a CGF/BWF Bipartite Invitation.
|Means of qualification||Date||Quotas||Qualified|
|BWF World Ranking||1 February 2022||14|| India|
|Bipartite invitation||8 March 2022||1||Pakistan|
- Quota place declined and reallocated to next team in the rankings.
In contrast to other sports with a qualifying system, all badminton player selections came from their nations' open allocation quotas regardless of mixed team qualification.
|Totals (5 nations)||6||6||6||18|
There were 29 articipating Commonwealth Games Associations (CGA's) in badminton with a total of 151 (78 men and 73 women) athletes. The number of athletes a nation entered is in parentheses beside the name of the country.
- Australia (10)
- Barbados (4)
- Cameroon (2)
- Canada (8)
- Cyprus (2)
- England (10)
- Falkland Islands (9)
- Guernsey (4)
- Ghana (5)
- Guyana (2)
- India (10)
- Isle of Man (1)
- Jamaica (4)
- Kenya (2)
- Malaysia (10)
- Maldives (6)
- Malta (2)
- Mauritius (8)
- New Zealand (2)
- Northern Ireland (1)
- Pakistan (4)
- Saint Helena (1)
- Scotland (9)
- Sierra Leone (2)
- Singapore (10)
- South Africa (5)
- Sri Lanka (6)
- Uganda (8)
- Zambia (4)
- "Competition Schedule". BOCCG. Archived from the original on 2 March 2022. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- Competition Schedule | Badminton (PDF). BOCCG. pp. 10, 11. Archived (PDF) from the original on 14 April 2022. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "NEC WILL HOST SIX SPORTS AT THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES". The NEC. 19 October 2018. Archived from the original on 26 December 2021. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "Venues | THE NEC". BOCCG. Archived from the original on 29 October 2021. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "CGF Sport Update" (PDF). Commonwealth Sport. 25 May 2022. p. 7. Archived (PDF) from the original on 25 May 2022. Retrieved 1 June 2022.
- Athlete Allocation System | Badminton Team (PDF). Commonwealth Sport / BWF. 1 October 2021. Archived (PDF) from the original on 14 April 2022. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "Badminton Number of Entries by CGA" (PDF). www.results.birmingham2022.com. Birmingham Organizing Committee for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. 28 July 2022. Retrieved 30 July 2022.