Frank J. Mrvan
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Indiana's 1st district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2021
|Preceded by||Pete Visclosky|
Frank John Mrvan
April 16, 1969
Hammond, Indiana, U.S.
|Relatives||Frank Mrvan (father)|
|Education||Ball State University (BS)|
Frank John Mrvan (//; born April 16, 1969) is an American mortgage broker and politician who has served as the U.S. representative for Indiana's 1st congressional district since 2021. From 2005 until 2021, he served as the township trustee for North Township, Indiana. Mrvan is a member of the Democratic Party.
Early life and career
Mrvan worked as a licensed mortgage broker and pharmaceutical sales representative.[dead link] In November 2005, he was appointed as the township trustee for North Township, Indiana, when his predecessor resigned.
U.S. House of Representatives
After Pete Visclosky, the incumbent U.S. representative for Indiana's 1st congressional district, decided not to run for reelection in 2020, Mrvan announced his candidacy. He was endorsed by Visclosky and the local chapter of the United Steelworkers. Mrvan won the Democratic nomination with 33% of the vote in a field of 14 candidates, including Thomas McDermott Jr. and Mara Candelaria Reardon. He defeated Republican Mark Leyva in the November general election with 57% of the vote.
Mrvan took office on January 3, 2021. He voted in favor of the second impeachment of Donald Trump, the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, and the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, which he co-sponsored.
Mrvan and his wife Jane (née Trimble) have two children.
- "Support Public Education - Youtube". YouTube. Retrieved September 13, 2020.
- Chris Mahlmann (April 16, 2020). "Leadership Life: Frank J. Mrvan, North Township Trustee". NWI.Life. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Mrvan files to seek re-election as trustee in North Township". NWI Times. February 2, 2010. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Dan Carden (November 6, 2019). "2 candidates already vying for Visclosky's seat representing NWI in Congress". NWI Times. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Quinn, Michelle L. (March 7, 2020). "Visclosky, steelworkers union endorse Mrvan for Congressional seat in Dem primary". Post-Tribune. Northwest Indiana – via chicagotribune.com.
- Dan Carden (June 2, 2020). "Mrvan wins Northwest Indiana congressional contest". NWI Times. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Dan Carden (June 3, 2020). "Mrvan credits Visclosky endorsement, hard work for primary election victory". NWI Times.
- Kukulka, Alexandra. "Frank Mrvan wins Indiana 1st Congressional race: 'It's a serious job for very serious times'". chicagotribune.com.
- Kukulka, Alexandra. "Frank Mrvan takes place in Congress, replacing longtime Rep. Pete Visclosky". chicagotribune.com.
- Kukulka, Alexandra (April 2, 2021). "U.S. Rep. Frank Mrvan's first 100 days in office: Capitol insurrection, COVID-19 relief and labor legislation". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on May 1, 2021. Retrieved May 29, 2021.
- Bycoffe, Anna Wiederkehr and Aaron (October 22, 2021). "Does Your Member Of Congress Vote With Or Against Biden?". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved June 1, 2022.
- "Mrvan earmarks $22M in federal funds for Northwest Indiana projects". KPVI.
- "Mrvan to co-chair Congressional Steel Caucus | Northwest Indiana Business Headlines". nwitimes.com. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- Mandy Haack (September 26, 2018). "A Northwest Indiana Life in the Spotlight: Frank J. Mrvan". NWI.Life.
- Kukulka, Alexandra (January 21, 2020). "North Township Trustee latest of 12 to file for 1st Congressional District seat". Post-Tribune. Northwest Indiana – via chicagotribune.com.