This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University|
|Motto||Atmano mokshartham jagat hitaya cha|
Motto in English
|For one's own salvation and for the welfare of the world|
|Type||Deemed research university|
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute, formerly Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University or simply Vivekananda University, is an education institute deemed-to-be-university headquartered at Belur, West Bengal, with campuses spanning multiple states in India. Established with the idea of actualizing Swami Vivekananda's vision of education, the institute is administered by the Ramakrishna Mission. The university provides courses on subjects as varied as rural and tribal development, disability management and special education, fundamental science education and Indian cultural and spiritual heritage.
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute was established with the idea of actualizing Swami Vivekananda's vision of education. It was declared as a de novo Deemed University by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in 2005. With its headquarters at Belur, RKMVERI began functioning in July 2005 with one branch in the Specialized Faculty Centre at Coimbatore in the field of ‘Disability Management and Special Education’. In the following year, three new branches were added at Narendrapur, Ranchi and Kolkata (at Simla – the ancestral residence of Swami Vivekananda, currently operating under the Belur main campus).
Since then, two new schools have been established in the main campus, namely the School of Mathematical Sciences (focusing on mathematics, theoretical physics and theoretical computer science), and the School of Indian Heritage (including Sanskrit studies, ancient Indian heritage and Vedanta, especially the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita).
This article contains a list of miscellaneous information. (April 2018)
- RKMVERI hosts a special UNESCO chair in the area of Inclusive Adapted Physical Education and Yoga. The chair was established in 2012.
- The Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE) at the Coimbatore campus has produced a comprehensive Indian Sign Language (ISL) dictionary addressing the communicative need of persons with hearing impairment. FDMSE also houses a Braille printing press.
- Mahan Maharaj (ex-faculty), awarded the 2011 Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology
- Narasimhaiengar Mukunda (Distinguished Associate), Indian physicist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar awardee
- Mukherjee, Mita (30 March 2019). "RKM institute bags top NAAC score". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Swami Sarvottamananda to take charge as Vice Chancellor of RKMVERI (Deemed University) on 3 August 2020". rkmvu.ac.in.
- "UGC Deemed University". University Grants Commission.
- "Swamiji's vision turns into varsity". Telegraph India. 5 July 2005. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "History". www.vivekanandauniversity-cbe.org. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "NAAC Grade Sheet of RKMVERI". NAAC.
- Dutta, Indrani (29 December 2015). "Ramakrishna Mission-UNESCO establish 'official ties'". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Ananth, M. K. (5 February 2016). "English, Hindi sign language dictionary to be released today". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "National Institute for the Visually Handicapped Annual Report 2012–13" (PDF). p. 90.
- "Vidyanathananda, the wizard who became a monk". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Faculty | Department of Physics, RKMVERI". physics.rkmvu.ac.in. Retrieved 14 May 2018.