Swami Vivekananda in the West: New Discoveries
|Series||Swami Vivekananda in the West: New Discoveries|
|Publisher||Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata|
Swami Vivekananda in the West: New Discoveries is a series of biographical books on Swami Vivekananda written by Marie Louise Burke, who is popularly known as Sister Gargi. There are six volumes in the series. This series of books was first published in two volumes in 1957. In 1983-87 these series was republished in six volumes. The book is high acclaimed not just in India but also in the Vedanta circles around the world.
Swami Vivekananda spent a number of years (from 1893) teaching and lecturing in the West (specially in America and England). Sister Gargi researched for many years and then published her findings in these works. These books present unknown facts regarding Swami Vivekananda's life and works in America from 1893-1896 and, during his second visit, from 1899 to 1900.
The six volumes provide an exhaustive account of the time Swami Vivekananda spent in the west, specially in America and Europe.
|Volume I||Summer 1893 – Spring 1894|
|Volume II||Spring 1894 – Spring 1895|
|Volume III||Spring 1895 – February 1896|
|Volume IV||March 1896 – Fall, 1896|
|Volume V||June 1899 – April 1900|
|Volume VI||Spring 1900 – December 1900|
- Sil, Narasingha P. (1997). Swami Vivekananda : a reassessment. Selinsgrove: Susquehanna Univ. Press [u.a.] p. 185. ISBN 0945636970.
- Chattopadhyaya, Rajagopal (1999). Swami Vivekananda in India : a corrective biography (1st ed.). Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass Publishers. p. 326. ISBN 8120815866.
- "Sister Gargi dead". The Hindu. 2004-01-22. Archived from the original on March 22, 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-05.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "Books on Vivekananda". http://www.vivekananda.org/. Retrieved 15 April 2012. External link in
- Marie Louise Burke. Swami Vivekananda Prophet of the Modern Age. Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture. pp. Preface. ISBN 81-87332-04-2.
- "Swami Vivekananda in the West". Vedanta Press. Retrieved 21 April 2012.