Abu Asim Azmi
|President Samajwadi Party Maharashtra|
|Assumed office |
|Member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly|
|Assumed office |
13 October 2009
|Preceded by||constituency created|
|Constituency||Mankhurd Shivaji Nagar|
|Member of Parliament Rajya Sabha|
|Born||8 August 1955|
Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Political party||Samajwadi Party|
|Relations||Ayesha Takia (daughter-in-law)|
|Residence(s)||Bandra, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Alma mater||Veer Bahadur Singh Purvanchal University|
|Profession||Manpower Consultants, running Hotels, Director In Companies And Investment In Firms|
Azmi entered politics and in 1995, under his leadership, the Samajwadi Party (SP) won two seats in the Maharashtra state assembly.
In the 2009 Lok Sabha election, Azmi was defeated by Gurudas Kamat (Congress). However, in 2009, Azmi was elected to the Maharashtra Assembly where he served for two terms. He successfully contested the seats of Mankhurd-Shivaji Nagar and Bhiwandi (East), and under rules limiting successful candidates to one region, he chose Mankhurd-Shivaji Nagar.
Azmi is the only MLA from Maharashtra to have won from 2 seats simultaneously in one election.
Azmi has secured three consecutive wins in his Mankhurd Shivaji Nagar Constituency from 2009 to 2024.
Comments on Shakti Mill Rape Case
In 2013, on the Shakti Mill Rape Case, Azmi told Mid-Day, "Any woman if, whether married or unmarried, goes along with a man, with or without her consent, should be hanged. Rape is punishable by hanging in Islam. But here, nothing happens to women, only to men. Even the woman is guilty. Girls complain when someone touches them, and even when someone doesn't touch them. It becomes a problem then ... If rape happens with or without consent, it should be punished as prescribed in Islam." He also said, "See, I don't know what context he said it in. But, at times, the wrong people are awarded the death penalty. Boys do it in josh (Hindi: excitement), but what can I say in this? The death sentence should be given. I won't speak against Islam." Azmi's comments were widely criticized in India. His daughter-in-law and actress, Ayesha Takia, said she was deeply embarrassed and ashamed of comments made by her father-in-law.
Comments on Muslim Leadership
In a video, Azmi is seen saying: "A Muslim who wants to build own leadership should go to Pakistan, this is secular India where our leaders are going to be Hindus."
Members of Legislative Assembly
|2009||Abu Azmi||Samajwadi Party|
|2014||Abu Azmi||Samajwadi Party|
|2019||Abu Azmi||Samajwadi Party|
- "Rajya Sabha members" Rajya Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi Accessed 30 December 2009
- "SHOCKING! Women having sex should be hanged, says Abu Azmi". mid-day. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Abu Azmi follows Mulayam Singh's footsteps with 'sexist' remark; says 'Women having premarital sex should be hanged'". DNA India. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Outrage after Abu Azmi says 'women having sex outside marriage should be hanged'". NDTV.com. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- Azmi♡, Ayesha Takia (11 April 2014). "if wot im reading about my father in laws statements r true then me and Farhan are deeply embarrassed n ashamed..." @Ayeshatakia. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Deeply embarassed and ashamed: Ayesha Takia reacts to father-in-law Abu Azmi's rape comment". News18. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- @imAsadShaikh (5 October 2021). "A Muslim who wants to build own leadership should go to Pakistan, this is secular India where our leaders use to be…" (Tweet) – via Twitter.