|Single by The Orlons|
|from the album The Wah-Watusi|
|Songwriter(s)||Kal Mann, Dave Appell|
|The Orlons singles chronology|
"The Wah-Watusi" is a song written by Kal Mann and Dave Appell and performed by The Orlons. It reached #2 on the U.S. pop chart behind Bobby Vinton's "Roses Are Red (My Love)", and #5 on the U.S. R&B chart in 1962. It was featured on their 1962 album The Wah-Watusi.
- Dee Dee Sharp released a version of the song on her 1962 compilation album All the Hits by Dee Dee Sharp.
- Annette released a version of the song as a single in 1964, but it did not chart.
- The Miracles released a version of the song on their 1963 album The Miracles Doin' Mickey's Monkey.
- The Ronettes released a version of the song on the 2011 various artists album The Philles Album Collection. Their version had originally been released on The Crystals' 1963 album The Crystals Sing the Greatest Hits Volume 1, but The Crystals received credit for the song.
In popular culture
- The Orlons' version was featured in the 2011 film The Help and was included on the soundtrack.
- The Wachusett Mountain Ski Area in Massachusetts has adapted the song as a commercial jingle for a number of years.
- In an episode of "Mama's Family," Naomi and her friend Luann are singing and dancing to it.
- "The Orlons, "The Wah-Watusi" Chart Positions". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "The Orlons, The Wah-Watusi". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins. pp. 149 & 164. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- "Top 100 Singles of 1962", Billboard, Section II, December 29, 1962. p. 82. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "Dee Dee Sharp, All the Hits by Dee Dee Sharp". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "Annette, "The Wah Watusi" Single Release". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "The Miracles, The Miracles Doin' Mickey's Monkey". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "The Ronettes, The Philles Album Collection". Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc4bH9u1O_c Wachusett Summit Commercial