Sarah Mary Hayes
3 September 1938
|Other names||Sarah Mary Malet Bradford|
|Education||St Mary's School, Shaftesbury,|
University of Oxford
|Known for||royal biographies|
William Maxwell David Ward
Early life and education
Bradford was born in Bournemouth in 1938, the daughter of Brigadier Hilary Anthony Hayes . She was educated at St Mary's School, Shaftesbury, Dorset. She won a State scholarship to Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford, but met Anthony Bradford, a real estate developer, at Oxford, and abandoned her degree to marry him. The couple lived in Barbados, Lisbon, and Sardinia; they had two children, but divorced.
She began her career as a writer with her first book, The Englishman's Wine, written while she lived in Portugal. She has now published more than a dozen major works. Her husband became 8th Viscount Bangor in 1993. She is fluent in four languages[which?] and has travelled extensively.[vague] The couple live in London. Bradford was interviewed in connection with the 1994 edition of the PBS video The Windsors: A Royal Family and with the 2007 BBC documentary Gladstone and Disraeli (presented by Huw Edwards), and assisted with the screenwriting for The Borgias, a 2011 television series. In 2012, she was working on a biography of Queen Victoria.
Her books have been translated into at least ten languages.
- Cesare Borgia (1976)
- The Borgias (with John Prebble) (1981)
- Disraeli (1982)
- Princess Grace (1984)
- George VI, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1989, ISBN 0-297-79667-4
- The Reluctant King (American version of George VI)
- Sacheverell Sitwell. Splendours and Miseries (1993)
- Elizabeth: A Biography of Britain's Queen (1996); according to WorldCat, the book is in over 1760 libraries
- America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (2000); according to WorldCat, the book is in over 1650 libraries
- Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love and Death in Renaissance Italy, Viking, 2004, ISBN 0-670-03353-7
- Diana, Penguin Group, London, 2006, ISBN 978-0-670-91678-8; according to WorldCat, the book is in over 890 libraries
- Queen Elizabeth II: Her Life in Our Times, Penguin, London, 2011, ISBN 978-0-670-91911-6
- The Englishman's Wine: The Story of Port (1969)
- Portugal and Madeira (1969)
- Portugal (1973)
- "Birthdays". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media. 3 September 2014. p. 41.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- "Sarah Bradford: perhaps I got it wrong about the Duke of Edinburgh, but he does like to flirt". Telegraph. 3 December 2011. Archived from the original on 22 April 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- WorldCat book page WorldCat author page
- WorldCat book page. Worldcat.org. 11 April 2011. OCLC 44969524.
- WorldCat book page