Cars on the Road
|Cars on the Road|
|Written by||Steve Purcell|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer||Pete Docter|
|Production company||Pixar Animation Studios|
Cars on the Road is an upcoming American computer-animated streaming series produced by Pixar for the Disney+ streaming service based on the Cars franchise and follows the story of anthropomorphic talking vehicles. The main cast includes Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen and Larry the Cable Guy as Mater. It is set to premiere in 2022. The series is written by Steve Purcell and produced by Marc Sondheimer.
The series follows Lightning McQueen and his best friend Mater on a cross-country road trip around the United States. It is set in the world filled with anthropomorphic talking cars and other vehicles. The episodes will depict characters in different scenarios, for example, them being chased by the dinosaur-like cars. It will be set in the new locations with new characters, additionally featuring returns of the already established characters from the franchise.
On December 10, 2020, Pixar announced on Disney Investors Day that an animated series starring Lightning McQueen and Mater traveling the country while meeting friends, new and old, was in development and that it will be released on Disney+ in the fall of 2022. It announced that the series is written by Steve Purcell and produced by Marc Sondheimer. On June 2, 2021, it was reported that characters from the Cars spin-off films Planes and Planes: Fire & Rescue will appear in the series. On November 12, 2021, it was announced that the series would be titled Cars on the Road and that Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy would reprise their respective roles as Lightning McQueen and Mater.
- "Disney+ Programming: Here's What Was Announced Or Confirmed For Streamer During Disney Investor Day". deadline.com.
- "'Cars on the Road' Disney+ Series Bringing Back Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy". collider.com.
- "Every Pixar Project Announced at Disney's Investor Day, From Lightyear To Turning Red". Comic Book Resources. December 11, 2020. Archived from the original on December 19, 2020. Retrieved February 15, 2021.
- "'Planes' Characters Will Appear in The Disney+ 'Cars' Series". The DisInsider. 2 June 2021. Archived from the original on June 6, 2021. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- "Rev your engines: Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy return to voice Lightning McQueen and Mater in the #DisneyPlus Original Series: Cars on the Road, streaming in 2022! #DisneyPlusDay".