The Kidd Creole
|Birth name||Nathaniel Glover|
|Born||February 19, 1960|
Bronx, New York
|Labels||Enjoy, Sugar Hill, Elektra|
Nathaniel Glover (born February 19, 1960), also known as Nate or Danny Glover, better known by the stage name Kidd Creole or Kid Creole, is a former American rapper who is one of the pioneers of old school hip hop as a member of the group Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five with his brother Melle Mel.
Born in The Bronx, New York, Glover and his brother Melvin (aka Melle Mel) joined up with Cowboy (Keith Wiggins) in 1978 to form the Three MC's, with production handled by Grandmaster Flash (Joseph Saddler).
After two extra MCs joined them (Scorpio (originally Mr. Ness, aka Ed Morris) and Raheim (Guy Williams), the group recorded two singles (one as the Younger Generation and one as Flash & the Five) before they became Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and recorded the Superappin' EP for Enjoy Records, owned by R&B legend Bobby Robinson.
Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
Kidd Creole participated in the recording of several records with Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five between 1980 and 1987. After Flash, Rahiem and Creole left The Furious Five in 1983, they continued to record together for Elektra Records, later rejoining Melle Mel and the others for a reunion in 1987.
On August 2, 2017, The Kidd Creole was arrested and charged with the murder of a New York City homeless man. Prior to his arrest he had been living in Mount Hope in The Bronx, and had been working as a handyman and security guard in midtown Manhattan. He had been arrested for firearm possession in 1982 and 1995 and possession of a knife in 2007.
- The Message (1982), Sugar Hill
- On the Strength (1988), Elektra
- "Superrappin’" (1979), Enjoy - 12-inch single
- "Freedom" (1980), Sugar Hill
- "Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" (1981), Sugar Hill - 12-inch single
- Price, Emmett George (May 2006). Hip hop culture. ABC-CLIO. pp. 156–157. ISBN 9781851098675. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Haag, Matthew (2 August 2017). "Kidd Creole of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five Is Charged With Murder". The New York Times.
- "Kidd Creole Pleads Not Guilty In Murder Case". The Source. Retrieved 2019-09-22.
- Jason Newman (2017-08-04). "After 'Humble' Rapper's Murder Charge, Bronx Neighbors Express Shock – Rolling Stone". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2019-09-22.