State Border Guard Service of Ukraine
|State Border Guard Service|
Державна прикордонна служба
|Abbreviation||SBGS / ДПСУ|
|Formed||July 31, 2003|
|Headquarters||26, Volodymyrska st, Kyiv|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Internal Affairs|
The State Border Guard Service of Ukraine (SBGS; Ukrainian: Державна Прикордонна Служба України, Derzhavna Prykordonna Sluzhba Ukrayiny; abbr. ДПСУ, DPSU) is the border guard of Ukraine. It is an independent law enforcement agency of special assignment, the head of which is subordinated to the President of Ukraine.
The Service was created on July 31, 2003, after the reorganization of the State Committee for Protection of the State Border. During wartime, units of the State Border Guard Service fall under the command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The State Border Guard Service includes the Ukrainian Sea Guard, which is the country's coast guard. It is also responsible for running Temporary Detention Centres, in which refugees are held.
- Ground Forces
- Sea Guard
- Aerial support
Directors (Commanders) of the Border Guard Service (Border Troops)
- 2019-present Serhiy Deyneko
- 2017-2019 Petro Tsyhykal
- 2014-2017 Viktor Nazarenko
- 2001-2014 Mykola Lytvyn
- 1999-2001 Borys Oleksiyenko
- 1994-1999 Viktor Bannykh
- 1991-1994 Valeriy Hubenko
- Main Administrations
- West Region (Lviv)
- North Region (Zhytomyr)
- Chernihiv border detachment
- Zhytomyr border detachment
- Lutsk border detachment
- East Region (Kharkiv)
- Luhansk border detachment
- Donetsk border detachment
- Kharkiv border detachment
- Sumy border detachment
- Kharkiv separate aviation squadron
- Mariupol Sea Guard detachment (created in response to fears of Russian aggression in 2014)
- South Region (Odessa)
- Odessa border detachment
- Kotovsk border detachment
- Mohyliv-Podilsky border detachment
- Bilhorod-Dnistrovsky border detachment
- Izmail border detachment
- Odessa Sea Guard detachment
- Odessa separate aviation squadron
- Izmail training detachment of Sea Guard
- Clinic-hospital (Odessa)
- Azov-Black Sea Region (Simferopol), reorganized due to the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea
- Simferopol border detachment (moved to Kherson)
- Berdiansk border detachment
- Kerch Sea Guard detachment (moved to Mariupol)
- Yalta Sea Guard detachment (disbanded)
- Sevastopol Sea Guard detachment (moved to Odessa)
- Separate controlled border checkpoint "Kyiv"
- 10th Mobile border detachment
- Separate Guard and Support Command
- Main center of Communication, Automatization, and Information Protection
- Information Agency
- Main center of supporting development programs
- Main Forensic Centre
- State Archives
- Training center
- Science research institute
- Khmelnytskyi National Academy
- Central museum
- Central hospital
- Clinical sanatoriums: Prykordonyk, Arkadia
- Children health center Pryberezhny
- Center of health and recreation Pishchane
- Academic ensemble of song and dance
- Sports Committee
Temporary Detention Centres
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2012)
Ukrainian border guards are the national successors of the Soviet Border Troops. They were formed from the approximately 17,000 Border Troops located in Ukraine in 1991. The organization was first titled the "Ukrainian Border Troops", which was later subordinated to the "Ukraine's State Committee for State Border Guarding".
From 1991 to at least 1993, the new borders with Russia and Belarus were not guarded; the Border Troops were only deployed along the western borders (minus Moldova) and on the Black Sea. Another 9,000 personnel were added to the Border Troops at the expense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and, by the end of 1993, border posts were established in the north along the Russian and Belarusian borders. In 1999, the authorized strength of the force was again increased to 50,000.
In 2003, new legislation was adopted, and this somewhat changed the legal status of the institution. In March 2003, the Border Troops became the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine, and its status was legally changed from 'military formation' to 'special law-enforcement body.' The force was legally granted 50,000 personnel, including 8,000 civilian employees.
On 4 July 2012, a State Border Guard Service Diamond DA42 aircraft failed to make its scheduled radio contact with ground units. A Search and rescue mission revealed that the plane had crashed into a wooded mountainous area in Velykyi Bereznyi Raion, killing all 3 crew members on board. A further investigation was launched.
During The War in Donbas on August 31, 2014, two Sea Guard Zhuk class patrol boats were struck by land-based artillery. In June 2, a border base in the outskirts of Luhansk was besieged by a troop of Luhansk People's Republic separatists. The Siege of the Luhansk Border Base resulted in 10 wounded Border Guards until they surrendered and withdrew.
In 2022, during the Battle of Snake Island 13 Border Troops were attacked and captured by Russian warships. A unit of Border Guards was stationed in Mariupol and fought during the Siege of Mariupol. In 20 April, the Border Guards were stranded in a encircled pocket at the Mariupol sea port together with National Police of Ukraine, until they were resuced by the Azov Regiment and retreated into the Azovstal Iron and Steel Works.
Long Service Medal
- Border control
- State Border of Ukraine
- Security Service of Ukraine
- List of national border guard agencies
- Avakov announces large-scale "cleansing" among generals, UNIAN (17 August 2016)
- "Official website of the authority.Contact Us". 2017.
- "УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАЇНИ №403/2019". Official website of the President of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- Zelensky appoints new chief border guard, UNIAN (14 June 2019)
- Poroshenko appoints Head of Operations Department Tsyhykal as State Border Service chief, Interfax-Ukraine (25 July 2017)
- Zelensky dismisses Tsyhykal from post of Head of State Border Guard of Ukraine, 112.international (31 May 2019)
- President appoints Nazarenko as new border chief, Interfax-Ukraine (23 October 2014)
- Council of Europe Anti-Torture Committee visits Ukraine accessed 21-08-07
- Leonid Polyakov, 'Paramilitary Structures in Ukraine,' Almanac on Security Sector Governance in Ukraine 2010, 143-144, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces.
- Фотографии с места катастрофы самолета Diamond DA-42 в Закарпатье
- Qena, Nebi (2014-06-04). "6 militants killed, 3 Ukrainian troops injured in Luhansk fighting". CTVNews. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- "500 separatists storm border control building in Luhansk, Ukraine". UPI. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- "Marines and "Azov" rescue 500 fighters from the port of Mariupol - media". Ukrayinska Pravda. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- Cпеціальні навчання мобільних підрозділів Archived 2015-02-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Державна прикордонна служба України отримала сучасну автомобільну техніку та обладнання майже на 135 мільйонів гривень Archived 2015-02-13 at the Wayback Machine
- МИНОБОРОНЫ, СБУ, МВД И ГОСПОГРАНСЛУЖБА УКРАИНЫ ПОЛУЧИЛИ ОТ ГОСУДАРСТВА НОВЫЕ АВТОМОБИЛИ СКОРОЙ МЕДИЦИНСКОЙ ПОМОЩИ Archived 2015-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- «ЗакарпатевроТранс II» переоборудовал авто на спецзаказ от Госпогранслужбы Archived 2016-01-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Пограничникам подарили бронированные Volkswagen и Toyota Archived 2015-02-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Львівські прикордонники отримали сучасну техніку від ЄС (фоторепортаж) Archived 2015-03-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Прикордонники їдуть на східний кордон
- Украинские пограничники пересядут на новые busы Volkswagen
- Автомобили Ford Transit - на защите границ Украины
- bus ЛАЗ-695Н "ДПСУ" возле Южного вокзала
- Закарпатці повернулися із пекла війни (ФОТО)
- В Государственной пограничной службе Украины подвели годовые итоги и определили основные направления деятельности в 2013 году Archived 2014-03-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Харьковские пограничники отметили 20-летие Восточного управления погранслужбы
- "Three more helicopters fly from France to Ukraine for Border Guard Service". en.interfax.com.ua. 22 December 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to State Border Guard Service of Ukraine.|