Los Angeles, California
|Alma mater||Tulane University|
|Occupation||President, Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group|
Sanford Panitch is an American film industry executive. Appointed president of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group in October 2019, he served previously as president of Columbia Pictures. Earlier in his career, he founded Fox International Productions, a division of 21st Century Fox.
Early life and education
Panitch was born in Los Angeles, to Hersh Panitch, an entertainment business manager, and Elaine Panitch, a teacher and author. He attended Tulane University in New Orleans. During school breaks Panitch interned for New Line Cinema, and as a student he founded Revive Screening to distribute New Line Films at various venues in New Orleans. After graduating from Tulane with a degree in Political Science, Panitch sold the company and returned to Los Angeles.
In 1995, Panitch was named executive vice president of Production at 20th Century Studios. In 2008, recognizing the growth of international box office and seeing the large percentage of market share for locally produced films, Panitch founded Fox International Productions.  He served as its president until April 2015, when he joined Sony Pictures as president of international film and television. In June 2016 he was named President of Columbia Pictures. He was promoted to president of Sony Motion Picture Group in October 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (2019-10-03). "Josh Greenstein & Sanford Panitch Named Sony Motion Picture Group Presidents; Kristine Belson & Spring Aspers Promoted". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- Lang, Brent (April 13, 2013). "Sanford Panitch Leaves Fox to Head Sony's International Film and Television Division". Variety. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Miller, Daniel (November 12, 2013). "Fox International strikes $130-million Asian film co-financing deal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- Ulaby, Neda (2012). "Fox International Finds That Not Everyone Wants To Buy What Hollywood Sells". All Things Considered, NPR. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela (March 26, 2010). "Fox's Panitch puts accent on local films". Variety. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Fall 2009" (PDF). tulane.edu.news. Tulanian. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Kopelson Prods. ups Panitch". Variety. January 10, 1994. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Petrikin, Chris (March 5, 1998). "Twentieth Century Fox ups Panitch". Variety. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- Kay, Jeremy (March 2010). "Local Films from a Global Giant". No. 1721. Los Angeles: Screen International. pp. 13–14.
- "Sanford Panitch to Run Fox International Productions". reuters.com. Reuters (Press Release). March 12, 2008. Archived from the original on July 26, 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Siegel, Tatiana (April 13, 2015). "Sanford Panitch Leaving Fox for Top Post at Sony". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Verhoven, Beatrice (June 3, 2016). "Sony Names Sanford Panitch President of Columbia Pictures". The Wrap. Retrieved 16 January 2017.