Puffins (TV series)
|Voices of||Johnny Depp|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||250|
|Production company||Iervolino Entertainment|
|Original release||December 1, 2020|
Puffins is an animated television series targeted at children created by Danielle Maloni and Peter Nalli. It is a spin-off of the film Arctic Dogs (2019) and stars Johnny Depp. It follows five Puffins: Johnny Puff (Depp), Tic, Tac, Didi, and Pi who work for the wily walrus Otto. It produced by Iervolino Entertainment owned by Andrea Iervolino and Monika Bacardi, and Iervolino Studios based in Serbia. It consists of 250 episodes of five-minute episodes and was released on Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video in December 2020. A spin-off of Puffins, entitled Puffins Impossible, is slated for release and is to consist of 16 five-minute episodes with Depp to reprise his role as Puff.
Puffins is a 3D animated television series targeted towards children. It follows five Puffins: Johnny Puff, Tic, Tac, Didi, and Pi. They work for of the wily walrus Otto. The show promotes themes of race and gender equality and environmentalism.
Puffins consists of 250 five-minute episodes.
Puffins was created by Danielle Maloni and Peter Nalli. On 22 June 2020, it was announced Johnny Depp would voice Johnny Puff. Puffins was produced by Iervolino Entertainment based in Rome, Italy, and Serbian company Iervolino Studios. Iervolino Entertainment was founded by producer Andrea Iervolino and is owned by Iervolino and Monika Bacardi. Depp and Iervolino previously collaborated on Waiting for the Barbarians.
Puffins and similar series Arctic Friends originated from the film Arctic Dogs (2019). Iervolino and Bacardi purchased all spin-off rights of the of the animated characters from the film. On 1 December 2020, the show was released on Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video.
In February 2022, Depp received the Serbian Gold Medal of Merit from President Aleksandar Vučić for "outstanding merits in public and cultural activities, especially in the field of film art and the promotion of the Republic of Serbia in the world". Puffins and Puffins Impossible were produced or co-produced in Serbia. Also, Minamata another film Depp starred in was shot in the country.
Puffins Impossible is a spin-off of Puffins which will consist of 18 five-minute episodes. It is being made by Iervolino Studios and Archangel Digital Studios. Nalli is the showrunner for Impossible. It is a action-adventure version of Puffins which follows the five Puffins gaining superpowers. Depp reprises his role as Johnny Puff.
According to local media reports, the series provided jobs in the creative centre in Belgrade, Serbia. The series received subsidies 206 million Serbian dinars (1.7 million Euros) in subsidies from Ministry of Culture and Information.
- "First Look Images of 'Puffins' Starring Johnny Depp". Animation World Network. 27 November 2021. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- Vivarelli, Nick (22 June 2020). "Johnny Depp to Voice Lead in New Animated Series'Puffins' From Iervolino Entertainment (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- Đorđević, Nikola (30 October 2021). "How a children's cartoon earnt Johnny Depp a medal in Serbia". Emerging Europe. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- Vivarelli, Nick (16 March 2022). "'Puffins Impossible' Starring Johnny Depp to Play on Apple TV App, Amazon (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- "Johnny Depp's New Animated Series PUFFINS Now on Apple TV and Amazon Prime". BroadwayWorld. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- Althea Legaspi (February 15, 2022). "Johnny Depp Receives Medal of Honor from Controversial Serbian President". Rolling Stone. Retrieved February 16, 2022.
- Zeller, Terry (February 16, 2022). "Johnny Depp Makes Rare Appearance After Losing Amber Heard Lawsuit To Receive Serbian Medal". Hollywood Life. Retrieved April 22, 2022.
- Lewis, Isobel (February 16, 2022). "Johnny Depp says he's 'on the verge of a new life' as he receives medal in Serbia". The Independent. Retrieved April 22, 2022.