A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2016)
|Directed by||Dr. Biju|
|Written by||Dr. Biju|
|Produced by||Anilkumar K.|
|Cinematography||M. J. Radhakrishnan|
|Edited by||Karthik Jogesh|
|Music by||Isaac Thomas Kottukapally|
Perariyathavar (English: Names Unknown) is a 2015 Indian Malayalam film directed by Dr. Biju. The film revolves around two sweepers and the problems they encounter in life, depicting the agonies of the marginalised section of society. The film stars Suraj Venjaramoodu and Indrans. It won the National Film Award for Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation. Movie is credited as 200th film of Suraj.Suraj received the National Film Award for Best Actor for his performance.
The story revolves around a widowed father and son working as scavengers in Kollam Municipal Corporation and the harsh life they face. They belong to a section of society which is marginalized in the mainstream. The father is working as a temporary cleaning sweeper. Chami is his friend and fellow worker who belongs to a tribal community. They collect the garbage from the city streets into a vehicle and dump it at a rural village. Sometimes father takes his son along with him. During the journey in a trash vehicle, father and son see and experience the life of many nameless, faceless marginalised people, including themselves, in the midst of huge buildings and roaring vehicles.
- Suraj Venjaramoodu - Father
- Indrans – Chami
- Master Govardhan – Son
- Nedumudi Venu – Workshop Master
- Sasi Kalinga - Band Master
- Sona Nair
- Seema G. Nair
The film was produced by K Anilkumar under Ambalakkara Global Films. It is the second film produced by Anilkumar with Dr Biju after Akasathinte Niram (Color of Sky).
In an interview, Biju revealed that actors Dileep, Jayasurya, Biju Menon and Sreenivasan were approached to play the lead role. None of them accepted and the movie, therefore, was delayed for more than a year. Eventually, Biju chose Suraj Venjaramoodu for the role.
The film was awarded Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation Award at the 61st National Film Awards in 2013. Suraj Venjaramoodu was awarded the Best Actor Award. The noted filmmaker and jury chairman Saeed Mirza said in a press conference, "Suraj has played a municipal sweeper [in the film] but it is an incredibly dignified performance. He excels in comedy but in this film Suraj has brilliantly played a reticent character. I would not have been able to sleep had his name not been in the list of awardees."
List of awards
- Official selection Montreal World Film Festival, Canada, August 2014
- Official selection competition Asia Pacific Screen Awards, 2014
- Official selection/competition Mumbai Film Festival, India, October 2014
- Official selection African Diaspora International Film Festival, New York, November 2014
- Official selection Jaipur International Film Festival, India, February 2014
- Official selection Fajr International Film festival, Tehran, Iran, 2015
- Official selection Kazan International Film Festival, Russia, 2015
- Official selection, Kolkata Film Festival, 2014
- Official selection Pune Film Festival, 2014
- Official Selection International film festival of Kerala, 2014
- New Generation film festival, Stuttgart, Germany, 2014
- Edmontan film festival, Canada, 2015
- "Biju's next is Perariyathavar". Times of India. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Suraj Venjaramoodu best actor for Perariyathavar", The Hindu, 17 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Suraj in Dr Biju's Perariyathavar". Cochin Talkies. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Preejith Raj, Dr. Biju (11–18 May 2014). "Being a Dalit is a crime in cinema". Mathrubhumi Illustrated Weekly.