Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels
|"Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels"|
|Single by Todrick Hall|
|from the EP Haus Party, Pt. 1|
|Released||May 23, 2019|
|Todrick Hall singles chronology|
Gay Star News' Anya Crittenton described "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" as a "rhythmic bop" song. The song ends with a series of requested actions, asking listeners to drop, tongue pop, twirl, say "girl", and "shablam". The news website's David Hudson described the song as a "gay anthem".
The song's music video features a group of men performing choreographed dancing in high heels and gloves in teams of different colors (pink, purple, orange, blue, and teal). Among the dancers is Chester Lockhart. The video was filmed in an empty warehouse and features an illuminated pink triangle in the background.
The music video received more than 3 million views by early June 2019.
Dave Stewart of CBC News said the music video "has become a bit of a YouTube sensation" and opined, "Not hard to see/hear why." Anya Crittenton of Gay Star News said the song was "begging to be danced to and blasted at all the Pride celebrations coming up", and wrote, "The end of the song is a series of repeated demands that people are sure to have fun with when the song becomes a mainstay of parties and clubs alike."
Devin Randall is Instinct called the song "sensational". In a review of the EP, Instinct published: "'Nails Hair Hips Heels' is a bitch track in the absolute best sense of the word. With razor sharp lyrics presented gorgeously by a sultry sounding Hall, this track, in the same vein as 'Dem Beats' gives you lyrics chock full of immediately trend setting verses." Billboard's Jon Ali said the song has "comedy, camp and catchphrases galore", and included the track in his "Queer Necessities: Billboard Pride's June 2019 Playlist. Cynthia Erivo, Janelle Monáe, and Billy Porter all praised the song online.
On August 19, 2019 Hall released an official remix of the song featuring American singer Ciara. The remix was later included on Haus Party, Pt. 2, along with a remix by Israeli producer Sagi Kariv.
On April 29, 2020, Hall released "Mask, Gloves, Soap, Scrubs", a COVID-19 themed parody as the first single from his EP Quarantine Queen. The video features cameos from many celebrities including Antonio Harvey, Brian Friedman, Peppermint, Bob the Drag Queen, Laganja Estranja, Eureka O'Hara, Monét X Change, Willam Belli, Trinity The Tuck, Alyssa Edwards, Nicole Scherzinger, Curtis Pritchard, AJ Pritchard, Jonathan Bennett, Jade Thirlwall, Kandi Burruss, Tamar Braxton, Rickey Thompson, Tiffany Haddish, Amber Riley, Lisa Rinna, Baga Chipz, Bobby Berk, Tan France, Colleen Ballinger, and GloZell Green.
Hall also released a new version of the song for Ubisoft's Just Dance 2022, with the lyrics rewritten to reflect the Just Dance franchise. Both this version and the original clean radio edit were included as separate routines within the game, with Hall appearing as a dance coach in both routines.
Appearance in media
The song also appears in the promos for The Real Housewives of Melbourne 2021 season.
Bells, Bows, Gifts, Trees
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||30|
- "Todrick Hall released the gayest song and Billy Porter can't get enough". Gay Star News. June 4, 2019. Archived from the original on June 24, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "US soldiers slay Todrick Hall's new queer anthem in viral video". Gay Star News. June 8, 2019. Archived from the original on June 28, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Todrick Hall Talks Pride Month, His Inspirational Fans & His New EP 'Haus Party, Pt. 1'". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2019-06-19. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- "Todrick drops a 'Haus' on us". May 28, 2019. Archived from the original on June 4, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Todrick's 'Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels' Has More Fierce Men Dancing in Stilettos Than You've Ever Seen: WATCH". May 28, 2019. Archived from the original on June 8, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Stewart, Dave (July 20, 2019). "Loud an proud! Turn up the volume on this P.E.I. Pride playlist: Opinion". CBC. Archived from the original on July 29, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "8 Queer Black Artists Taking Music By Storm". Instinct Magazine. July 30, 2019.
- "Welcome To His "Haus"; Todrick Hall Takes You To The Ballroom With The Fiercest Album Of The Summer". Instinct Magazine. May 26, 2019. Archived from the original on July 8, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "Queer Necessities: Billboard Pride's June 2019 Playlist". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2019-06-17. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- "Billboard Dance Chart Upstarts: Zack Martino, Dyson, Todrick Hall & J-E-T-S". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2019-07-25. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- Daw, Stephen (August 19, 2019). "Todrick Hall Teams Up With Ciara for Remix of 'Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels': Premiere". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- "Haus Party 2 by Todrick Hall". Apple Music. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- "Mask, Gloves, Soap, Scrubs (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- Hunt, James (September 17, 2021). "Every Song In Sex Education Season 3". Screen Rant. Retrieved September 19, 2021.
- "Todrick Hall Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Todrick Hall Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Hot Dance/Electronic Songs – Year-End 2019". Billboard. Retrieved December 6, 2019.
- "Todrick Hall Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2021.