Johnny Davis (basketball, born 2002)
|No. 5 – Washington Wizards|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
|Born||February 27, 2002|
La Crosse, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||194 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||La Crosse Central|
(La Crosse, Wisconsin)
|NBA draft||2022 / Round: 1 / Pick: 10th overall|
|Selected by the Washington Wizards|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jonathan Christian Davis (born February 27, 2002) is an American basketball player for the Washington Wizards of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for the Wisconsin Badgers and was drafted tenth overall by the Wizards in the 2022 NBA draft.
High school career
Davis played basketball for La Crosse Central High School in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He won a Division 2 state title as a freshman. In his junior season, Davis averaged 23 points and nine rebounds per game, earning La Crosse Tribune Player of the Year honors. As a senior, he averaged 27.4 points and 9.2 rebounds per game. He was named Wisconsin Mr. Basketball and repeated as La Crosse Tribune Player of the Year. Davis left as his school's all-time leading scorer with 2,158 career points. He committed to playing college basketball for Wisconsin over offers from Marquette, Iowa and Minnesota, among others.
Davis also played football for La Crosse Central as a quarterback. In his senior season, he earned Large Schools First Team All-State honors and won the Dave Krieg Award as the most outstanding senior quarterback in Wisconsin.
On February 2, 2021, Davis scored a freshman season-high 17 points, shooting 6-of-7 from the field, in a 72–56 win over Penn State. As a freshman, he came off the bench, averaging seven points and 4.1 rebounds per game while leading his team with 34 steals. On November 23, 2021, Davis scored 30 points in a 65–63 upset of Houston. He scored a career-high 37 points and had 14 rebounds on January 3, 2022, in a 74–69 upset of Purdue. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.7 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Davis was named Big Ten Player of the Year. On March 31, 2022, Davis declared for the 2022 NBA draft, forgoing his remaining college eligibility.
Washington Wizards (2022–present)
National team career
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Davis' father, Mark, played professional basketball for 13 seasons, including stints in the National Basketball Association, following a college career at Old Dominion. His twin brother, Jordan, plays college basketball for Wisconsin and was his basketball and football teammate in high school. Prior to the Draft, Davis appeared in a Taco Bell commercial promoting the chain's Toasted Cheddar Chalupa.
- "No. 1: La Crosse Central boys basketball wins first state title since 1925". La Crosse Tribune. December 30, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Sommerfeldt, Todd (April 7, 2019). "All-Tribune boys basketball: La Crosse Central's Johnny Davis is player of the year". La Crosse Tribune. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Lee, Eric (April 12, 2020). "High school basketball: Johnny Davis dazzled for La Crosse Central, looks to do the same for Badgers". La Crosse Tribune. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Sommerfeldt, Todd (April 20, 2020). "All-Tribune boys basketball: Johnny Davis is player of the year". La Crosse Tribune. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- McNamara, Jon (March 17, 2020). "WBCA tabs Wisconsin signee Jonathan Davis as Mr. Basketball". Rivals. Retrieved June 13, 2021.
- Potrykus, Jeff (June 15, 2019). "Davis brothers from La Crosse commit to play basketball for Wisconsin". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Sommerfeldt, Todd (October 30, 2019). "High school football: Johnny Davis left significant mark at La Crosse Central". La Crosse Tribune. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Wilson, Travis (November 20, 2019). "Johnny Davis of La Crosse Central selected to receive Dave Krieg Award". Wisconsin Sports Network. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Vazquez, Raul (February 4, 2021). "The "sky's the limit" for Wisconsin freshman wing Jonathan Davis". Rivals. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Polzin, Jim (May 6, 2021). "Badgers freshman Jonathan Davis earns tryout with US U19 National Team". Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- "Wisconsin holds off No. 12 Houston with 65–63 upset". ESPN. Associated Press. November 23, 2021. Retrieved November 29, 2021.
- Manderfeld, Noah (January 3, 2022). "Johnny Davis scores 37 as Wisconsin pulls off the upset, beats No. 3 Purdue on the road". WSAW. Retrieved January 3, 2022.
- "2021-22 Big Ten Men's Basketball Postseason Honors Announced" (Press release). Big Ten Conference. March 8, 2022. Retrieved March 8, 2022.
- "Badgers' Davis to enter NBA draft, hire agent". ESPN.com. 2022-03-31. Retrieved 2022-03-31.
- Schnable, Abby (July 12, 2021). "Jonathan Davis, Team USA become gold medalists in FIBA U19 World Cup". Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved July 12, 2021.
- Lucas, Mike (October 30, 2020). "Lucas: Johnny Davis pairs quiet confidence with loud game". Wisconsin Badgers. Retrieved June 14, 2021.
- Matt Belz. "Johnny Davis featured in a national Taco Bell commercial". si.com. Retrieved 23 June 2022.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Johnny Davis (basketball, born 2002).|