Homestead High School (Indiana)
|Homestead High School|
4310 Homestead Road
|School district||Southwest Allen County Schools|
|Superintendent||Park D. Ginder|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.59|
|Athletics conference||Summit Athletic Conference|
Homestead Senior High School, in Fort Wayne, United States, is a public four-year high school. Part of Southwest Allen County Schools, the school receives accreditation from the Indiana Department of Education and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Media at Homestead
Homestead High School Media is the school's student-run, not-for-profit YouTube channel dedicated to both its school news program, HHS In Depth, and its sports/school activity broadcasting program, Homestead Live. It has been running on YouTube since 2014. Homestead Live covers primarily football and basketball (boys and girls), along with other sports and fine arts associated with the school. Homestead won “High School TV of the Year” at Indiana Association of School Broadcasters (IASB) in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
WCYT is the school's student-run, not-for-profit radio station. It has been broadcasting in the city of Fort Wayne since 1995. It features indie-rock music on a 24/7, 365 day basis, along with occasional talk shows. WCYT has won "High School Radio Station of the Year" in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 at IASB.
The Homestead Spartan Alliance Band
The Homestead Spartan Alliance Band is Homestead's Marching Band. The band in recent years has been among the best in the state of Indiana and in the United States, with 6 state titles and numerous appearances in the Bands of America Grand National Championship.
The Spartana, Homestead's student newspaper, was awarded the NSPA Pacemaker award for its 2004-2005 and 2008-2009 volumes.
Homestead has a variety of sports teams and clubs. Homestead's varsity teams compete in class 4A (with the exception of the football team, which competes in class 6A). The school belongs to the Summit Athletic Conference after the Northeast Hoosier Conference disbanded in 2015. Homestead's biggest rival and fellow member of the SAC is the Chargers of Carroll High School.
- The gymnastics team won the state championship in 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1999 and 2001.
- The boys' basketball team won the state championship in 2015 (4A).
- The girls’ basketball team won the state championship in 2017 (4A). As well as finished as a runner up in 2015 losing out to Columbus North High School(4A).
- The girls’ golf team won the state championship in 2019.
- The girls’ soccer team won the state championship in 2021 (3A).
- Rob Bowen, catcher, former Major League Baseball player
- Susan Brooks, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Indiana's 5th district
- Ben Skowronek, current NFL wide receiver, Super Bowl 56 Champion[circular reference] Los Angeles Rams
- Caleb Swanigan, former NBA basketball player,and TLC celebrity Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings
- Zach Terrell, former college football player, Western Michigan University
- Official website
- Article on indianafind.com
- Homestead Media Channel
- Homestead High School's Radio Station - 91.1 FM
- Homestead Spartan Alliance Band's Official Website
- "Homestead Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 1, 2022.
- "School Snapshot". state.in.us. Archived from the original on 22 September 2004. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "School Office". sacs.k12.in.us. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Locke, Greg (2011). "A Radio Station for the Rest of Us" (PDF). Whatzup Magazine. WhatzUp Magazine. Retrieved 2021-06-04.
- IASB (March 12, 2015). "2016IASBHighSchoolAwards" (PDF). IASB Online.
- "WCYT Celebrates National High School Radio Day (NBC33 VIDEO)". 21Alive. Archived from the original on 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- NSPA – Contests and Critiques Archived 2015-02-21 at the Wayback Machine
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "2014-15 Boys Basketball State Tournament". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "2016-17 Class 4A State Finals Recap".
- "2019-20 State Finals Recap".
- "2021-22 Class 3A Girls Soccer Recap".
- "Super Bowl LVI".