Deep clean (COVID-19)
A deep clean, in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, is a sanitation technology. It can mean different things, depending on the industry or jurisdiction. For example, the UK NHS care home guidelines differ from the US CDC recommendations on "How to clean and disinfect". The EPA has created a COVID-specific webpage on which are listed disease-specific pesticidal disinfectants, and has created a webpage on "GUIDANCE FOR CLEANING AND DISINFECTING" in the context of the April 2020 plan, "Opening Up America Again".
By Mid-March 2020, Delta Air Lines had developed a fogging procedure to "spray a mist of disinfectant on surfaces throughout the cabin on all trans-Pacific flights arriving in the U.S. and flights from Italy landing in certain American airports. It plans to extend the procedure, its website says, to trans-Atlantic flights coming from areas with reported cases of COVID-19."
Southwest Airlines said in March 2020 that it "now uses a hospital-grade disinfectant throughout the plane during overnight cleaning instead of its former practice of using that only in select areas like the restroom."
Carnival Cruises had instituted a night-time "deep-cleaning and disinfection [procedure] is conducted utilizing electro-static applications through specialized machines in highly-trafficked public areas (including all restaurants, the fitness center, spa, lido deck areas, promenade, casino, medical center, public restrooms, lounges, bars, lobbies, elevators, atrium, youth activity centers, arcade and all crew public areas)."
- ZHANG, SARAH (15 March 2020). "America's Deep-Cleaning Boom". The Atlantic Monthly Group.
- Knight, Victoria (17 March 2020). "Ships, Planes And Other Spots Are Getting A 'Deep Clean.' What's That Mean?". NPR.
- "COVID-19 Deep cleaning guidance in Care Homes" (PDF). www.infectionpreventioncontrol.co.uk. National Health Service.
- "COVID-19: Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Facility". U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 5 January 2021.
- "Pesticide Registration - List N: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19)". Environmental Protection Agency. 15 December 2020.
- "Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools and Homes" (PDF). 28 April 2020.
- "Opening Up America Again". Whitehouse.gov. 16 April 2020. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020.
- WOOLFOLK, JOHN (17 April 2020). "Coronavirus: How Trump's plan for reopening America compares with California's". MediaNews Group, Inc. The Press-Enterprise.
- "HEALTH AND SAILING UPDATE". Carnival Corporation. 17 March 2020. Archived from the original on 17 March 2020.