Daisy (1988 film)
|Directed by||Prathap K. Pothan|
|Written by||Prathap K. Pothan |
|Edited by||B. Lenin|
V. T. Vijayan
Daisy is a 1988 Indian Malayalam-language musical-romance film depicting teenage love, separation, and longing set in a boarding school in Ooty. It was written and directed by Prathap K. Pothan. It stars Harish and Sonia, along with Lakshmi and Kamal Haasan in pivotal roles. The screenplay was written by Prathap Pothan and the dialogues were written by Khalid. The film was also dubbed in Hindi using the same title Daisy.
Pradeep Menon is a troubled teenager who studies in a Boarding school in Ooty in the Nilgiris. He is regarded as a trouble-maker and is often punished by his teachers and headmaster, severely times. When beautiful Daisy Thomas joins the school, he makes fun of her on the first day, thus beginning a series of misadventures that result in more punishment for him. This brings him close to Daisy, and they are attracted to each other.
Daisy understands why Pradeep is so aggressive and offers him considerable support. She is shocked to see how rude he is towards his mother, Malathi Menon, but is unable to do anything about it. She later learns the reason behind his hatred was that his mother had decided to remarry after his father's death and had started spending less time with him.
Things improve considerably when Malathi is confined in a hospital and Pradeep goes to visit her, thereby improving their relationship. Pradeep starts to respond positively to Daisy's support and is all set to turn a new leaf. Then Pradeep's world turnds upside down when he witnesses Daisy in the arms of James — a complete stranger. Shocked at this, Pradeep regresses to his self-destructive phase, alienating himself from everyone. He later learns that James is her older brother and that she is a terminally ill patient. Things go bad when his mother dies and he loses Daisy as well. The movie ends with him finding solace in James.
- Harish Kumar as Pradeep Menon
- Sonia as Daisy Thomas
- Lakshmi as Malathi Menon
- M. G. Soman as Balakrishna Menon
- Nedumudi Venu as Pradeep's uncle
- Kamal Haasan as James Kuttichan (Daisy's brother)
- Sankaradi as Teacher
- Lalu Alex as Ravi
- Thesni Khan as Classmate of Daisy and Pradeep
- Captain Raju as Headmaster
- Renny as John
- Subbu Panchu Arunachalam as Thomas
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Tamil Postman
- Jagannatha Varma as Daisy's Father
- Smitha Salim
- Daisy was one of the highest grossing Malayalam films of 1988.
- The film is mainly centralized on teenagers; it took nine years in Malayalam cinema to overcome this record with teens, which is Aniyathipravu.
- Kamal Haasan played an extended cameo.
- The film was dubbed in Hindi as Daisy produced by Mani Nair and had an official audio launch as well.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Ormathan Vasantha"||K. J. Yesudas|
|2.||"Pookale"||K. S. Chithra|
|3.||"Rapadithan"||K. S. Chithra|
|5.||"Laalanam"||K. J. Yesudas|
- "Daisy (1988)- Movie Details". malayalachalachithram. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Daisy (1988)- Movie Details". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "O janeman janejigar daisy 1988 hindi musical love st". youtube. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Do Paanche Udthe-Hindi Version of Daisy". youtube. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Ajithkumar, P. K. (1 March 2019). "A melodious tribute to Shyam". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 2 June 2021. Retrieved 2 June 2021.