Carbon (2018 film)
|Produced by||Siby Thottupuram|
|Cinematography||K. U. Mohanan|
|Edited by||Beena Paul|
Poetry Film House
|Distributed by||Kalasangham Films|
Carbon is a 2018 Indian Malayalam-language adventure thriller film written and directed by Venu, starring Fahadh Faasil and Mamta Mohandas. The film follows Sebastian and Sameera on their expedition to find a lost treasure deep inside a forest. K. U. Mohanan was the cinematographer, while Vishal Bhardwaj and Bijibal composed the songs and the score, respectively. Principal photography took place between August and October 2017 in several hilly terrain locations in North Kerala.
Carbon was released in India on 19 January 2018 to positive response from the critics, particularly praising the visuals and Fahadh Faasil's performance. The film won six Kerala State Film Awards, the most awards for any film for that year.
Sibi is a young adult who wants to make it big in the quickest possible way. His search for his goal leads him to be caretaker of a dilapidated palace. He plunges into the legends related to the palace and starts to search for treasure hidden somewhere in the surrounding jungle.
- Fahadh Faasil as Sibi Sebastian
- Mamta Mohandas as Sameera
- Manikandan R. Achari as Stalin
- Dileesh Pothan as Thamban
- Soubin Shahir as Aanakkaran Rajesh
- Chethan Jayalal as Kannan
- Kochu Preman as Balan Pillai
- Spadikam George as Sebastian
- Vijayaraghavan as M. D.
- Nedumudi Venu as Basheer
- Sharaf U Dheen as Santhosh
- Praveena as Deepa Pradeep
- Ashokan (Guest appearance)
According to Venu, Fahadh was in his mind for the lead role from the beginning, "It was conceptualised and written with Fahadh in mind and I could not have made the film with someone else". Principal photography began by mid-August 2017. It was originally scheduled to begin by the end of March, but the "state-of-the-art" movie camera the makers ordered from abroad arrived only by August. The first schedule of filming that continued till mid-October completed inside the forests in Kattappana, Idukki district. Later it was shot in Erattupetta, Erumely, and Pala in Kottayam district, and in Wayanad. The film completely used sync sound. The film was shot in 12 locations, including Theni and Attappadi.
- Track listing
The film was released on 19 January 2018.
Rating 4 out of 5 stars, Manoj Kumar R. of The Indian Express wrote "Venu has maintained a firm grip on the storytelling and beautifully brings out emotional conflicts in the characters in a well-written screenplay. Carbon is an engaging adventure film that should not be missed". Meera Suresh of The New Indian Express also gave 4 out of 5 and said "Carbon ultimately belongs to Venu. It is how he adds layers of meaning, without seeming to, that sets him apart. That he puts forth the most philosophical and thought-provoking concept in such an engaging and simple format is an attestation of his talent". The Times of India's Deepa Soman rated 3.5 out of 5 stars and noted that "though an adventure thriller that keeps us on the edge of our seats, Carbon also prods your thoughts, through the protagonist’s journey, about these larger questions of purposes, revelations and perseverance". Baradwaj Rangan of Film Companion South wrote "The year has just dawned and I can state, with confidence, that it’s unlikely we see a stranger film, so richly atmospheric, so lyrical and literal at once"
- Best Cinematographer - K. U. Mohanan
- Best Music Director - Vishal Bharadwaj
- Best Sound Recordist - Anil Radhakrishnan
- Best Sound Mixing - Sinoy Joseph
- Best Sound Design - Jayadevan Chakkadath
- Best Processing Lab/Colourist – Prime Focus
- Ramachandran, Mythily (31 January 2018). "'Carbon' an adventure thriller in Malayalam". Gulf News. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- quintdaily (19 January 2018). "Carbon Malayalam Movie Audience Review – Rating [Fahadh Faasil] Movie – QuintDaily".
- Prakash, Asha (21 July 2017). "Mamta's character in Carbon has 'all the answers'". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Nagarajan, Saraswathy (18 January 2018). "Fahadh Faasil was in his element in 'Carbon': Venu". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (6 August 2017). "Fahadh to start shooting for Carbon soon". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (17 March 2017). "Fahadh Faasil's Carbon to start shooting in July". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (22 October 2017). "Fahadh Faasil's Carbon all set to wrap up filming". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- M., Athira (24 January 2019). "On a food trail through film locations". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 July 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (20 March 2017). "Venu ropes in Vishal Bhardwaj again as music composer for his directorial". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Web Desk, Express (20 March 2017). "Vishal Bhardwaj to compose music for Fahadh Faasil's Malayalam film Carbon". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Carbon". "Box Office Mojo". 5 February 2018.
- R., Manoj Kumar (20 January 2018). "Carbon movie review: The Fahadh Faasil starrer is a must-see". The Indian Express. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Suresh, Meera (19 January 2018). "Carbon review: A diamond that sparkles". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- Soman, Deepa (19 January 2018). "Carbon review (3.5/5): An adventure thriller that keeps us on the edge of our seats". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "Carbon Movie Review". Film Companion. 22 January 2018.
- "Kerala State Film Awards 2019: Winners list". The New Indian Express. 27 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "49-ാമത് സംസ്ഥാന ചലച്ചിത്ര പുരസ്കാരങ്ങള്". Mathrubhumi. 27 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "State award winners list" (PDF). 27 February 2019. Retrieved 28 February 2019.