Benjamin (2018 American film)
This article needs a plot summary. (September 2020)
|Directed by||Bob Saget|
|Written by||Joshua Turek|
|Produced by||Nicholas Tabarrok|
|Music by||Peter Rodgers Melnick|
|Distributed by||Quiver Distribution|
Benjamin is a 2018 dark comedy film about drug addiction directed by Bob Saget. It was the first film distributed exclusively by Redbox as well as Saget’s final directorial effort prior to his death in January 2022.
Saget cast himself as the patriarch of a family that includes a teen troubled by drug addiction. The cast includes Rob Corddry, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Kevin Pollak, Peri Gilpin, Dave Foley, Cheri Oteri, Max Burkholder, Clara Mamet, David Hull, Jonny Weston, and James Preston Rogers.
- Bob Saget as Ed
- Rob Corddry as Dr. Ed
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Jeanette
- Peri Gilpin as Marley
- Cheri Oteri as Clarice
- Max Burkholder as Benjamin
- Clara Mamet as Amber
- David Hull as Ronny
- Jonny Weston as Tom
- James Preston Rogers as Ulf
- Dave Foley as Mitch
- Kevin Pollak as Rick
Polus, Sarah (April 21, 2019). "Bob Saget talks his new projects, his stand-up career and why he's tight-lipped about the college admissions scandal". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
In addition to his national comedy tour, Saget has a new film, “Benjamin”; a new sequel series to “America’s Funniest Home Videos” called “Videos After Dark”; and the final season of “Fuller House” on the horizon.
- Spangler, Todd (April 9, 2019). "Redbox Sets First Original Release: Bob Saget Drug-Addiction Dark Comedy 'Benjamin'". Variety. Archived from the original on April 10, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
The DVD-rental kiosk operator is calling Saget’s indie film a “Redbox Original.” What that means: Redbox has rights to an exclusive 90-day window on “Benjamin,” to be available starting April 23, both to rent at its network of U.S. kiosks and to rent or purchase through its Redbox On Demand streaming service.
- Arnold, Thomas K. (April 9, 2019). "Redbox Bows First On Demand Original Movie With Bob Saget Film 'Benjamin'". Media Play News. Archived from the original on September 5, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
The dark comedy, which tackles the serious topic of drug addiction, will be released exclusively on Blu-ray Disc and DVD at more than 41,500 Redbox kiosks nationwide on April 23.
Tanenbaum, Michael (April 15, 2019). "Bob Saget directs first Redbox original film 'Benjamin' out this month". Philly Voice. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
In an age when everything new seems to be coming from Netflix, here's a curveball: Redbox, the entertainment rental kiosk, is about to debut its first original film.
- "Bob Saget Says His Character in Benjamin Is Danny Tanner Unhinged: 'He's off the Rails'". People. April 23, 2019. Archived from the original on June 4, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
Boedecker, Hal (April 30, 2019). "Bob Saget takes silly, fatherly approach to stand-up". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
'It’s written to be a sensitive movie about people who are messed up,' Saget said. 'It’s a dark comedy. It’s not really a satire to me because I’ve met people like this who are in such denial.'
- "BOB SAGET'S BENJAMIN". Beverly Hills Film Festival. Archived from the original on September 5, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
As one of the 18th Beverly Hills Film Festival’s sold-out screenings, Benjamin, @benjaminmovie, a film by Bob Saget, was premiered during the festival at the TCL Chinese Theatre and has been successfully released is available for millions to watch on RedBox!