A Spark Story
|A Spark Story|
|Music by||Jeremy Turner|
A Spark Story is a 2021 American documentary film directed by Jason Sterman and Leanne Dare. Focusing on SparkShorts directors Aphton Corbin and Louis Gonzales, the film is a co-production between Pixar and Supper Club, and marks the former's first fully live-action project. The film was released on September 24, 2021, on Disney+.
On January 29, 2020, The Walt Disney Company announced that an untitled documentary series focusing on the SparkShorts series was in development for Disney+. The series, which provides "an immersive look at the next generation of Pixar filmmaker[s]", was executive-produced by Brian McGinn, Jason Sterman, and David Gelb. On July 21, 2021, it was reported that the project was being redeveloped as a feature film under the name A Spark Story, with McGinn, Sterman, and Gelb as producers. Sterman also directed the film alongside Leanne Dare. Pixar produced the project alongside Supper Club.
Meredith Woerner of Variety stated that the documentary film manages to attract attention on talented Pixar's employees and their stories, allowing the audience to know better about their journey as creators. Tony Betti of The Laughing Place gave the film a positive review, saying "at times, the cinematic nature overpowered the actual content. Dramatic camera pans of the directors thinking while sitting at a table, in a screening room, or even in their own home while cooking breakfast almost take away from the credibility of the subject matter at hand. That said, the same dramatic shots of the Pixar campus are a highlight, especially for fans, who otherwise aren't allowed anywhere near these buildings." Sabrina McFarland of Common Sense Media rated the movie 4 out of 5 stars, praised the positive messages and role models, stating the film promotes perseverance, dedication, and ambition, while complimenting the movie for its depiction of diversity.
- "A Spark Story (2021)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved April 26, 2022.
- Grobar, Matt (July 21, 2021). "SparkShorts: Disney+ Unveils Two New Shorts & A Feature-Length Doc From Pixar, Sets September Premiere Dates". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 22, 2021.
- Wolsos, Julie (September 24, 2021). "'A Spark Story' Documentary Explores the Successes & Challenges of Making a Pixar SparkShort". Pixar Post. Retrieved September 27, 2021.
- Schneider, Michael (January 29, 2020). "'The Quest' Revived as Disney Plus Brings Back ABC Fantasy Reality Show". Variety. Archived from the original on January 29, 2020. Retrieved December 29, 2020.
- Hersko, Tyler (January 29, 2020). "Disney+ Sets New Unscripted Slate, Including One Short-Lived ABC Reality Show". IndieWire. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- Woerner, Meredith (September 20, 2021). "Go Behind the Scenes at Pixar in 'A Spark Story' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 27, 2021.
- Betti, Tony (September 24, 2021). "'A Spark Story' Skips Over Usual Pixar And Animation Documentary Fare To Focus on Directors of Latest Pixar SparkShorts". Laughing Place. Retrieved September 27, 2021.
- "A Spark Story Movie Review | Common Sense Media". www.commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved May 18, 2022.